You are only as strong as your immune system… Things continue to feel scary and uncertain right now but I fully believe the more level headed and aware we are, the better we will be able to survive and thrive during these times. Now, more so than ever, we have to protect our immunity so we can handle whatever comes our way. Health is wealth and without it we have nothing. I am a BIG believer in focusing on what we can control and right now our health (and immunity) is #1! Now, more than ever, we must take the necessary precautions to ensure we keep our mind and body strong!
Luckily, living the G-Fit lifestyle fits right into taking the best possible care of our mental and physical health however we can all use a little refresher to ensure we are doing everything we can to keep us, inside out, healthy.
I wanted to share a few things I have been focusing on to support my immunity and keep my mental game strong…
1. REAL FOOD. Our immune system relies on nutrient-dense whole foods to function well. While protein powders are great for convenience, they are not the BEST source of nutrition to keep our guts and body in optimal health. Especially those sweetened with Sucralose, they can alter the gut microflora and cause distributions to absorption and digestion. Whenever possible go REAL and if it was processed, think twice! Quality over quantity ALWAYS, especially now. REAL over REAL QUICK (processed) as much as possible.
2. FREE VEGGIES. This isn’t a hard one since veggies are FREE in all my plans however, I have been focusing on changing up my veggies to get a variety of different types. Vegetables are the foundation of a nourishing diet, and they provide so many immune-supporting nutrients like vitamin C (red bell peppers, broccoli, and spinach) and carotenoids (carrots, sweet potatoes, kale).
While we tend to find our favorites (hello Zucchini) and stick with them, it is important to change it up and get as many different types as possible. Getting a variety of different vitamins and nutrients will keep our immune system STRONG. Currently on my list of favorites are celery, cucumbers, kale, zucchini, tomatoes, bell peppers, jicama, and cabbage. Whatever you do, VARIETY is KEY.
3. FRUIT. While fruit isn’t always the main priority in any G-Fit plan, during the summer months you will see some fruit options pop up on the menu. Regardless of the season, THIS is the time to add in a few of those low glycemic fruits like berries, melon, and apples. They will help add immune-boosting antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. A handful of low glycemic blueberries in your green drinks or bowl of oats can add great flavor + punch up the antioxidants.
4. BYE BYE SUGAR. This isn’t new to the G-Fit way of living but removing NO SUGAR is a must. Other than the few we get in the small amounts of fruit, sugar is always, especially NOW, something to avoid more than ever. There has never been a better time for a sugar detox! Something to be mindful of, especially during more stressful times when sweets can easily be abused (hello quarantine). Sugar can weaken our immune system and feed sickness so please watch your sugar intake.
5. PUNCH UP THE PROTEIN. While this is another area we focus on in the G-Fit lifestyle, not everyone is onto the amount of protein you need to stay healthy, muscles recovering and cells turning over! A good rule of thumb is to eat approximately 1 gram/pound of body weight. Good quality protein, of course. Lean meats, fresh seafood, eggs, etc.
6. SUPERCHARGE WITH SPICES.
Spices and seasonings are excellent for reducing inflammation, boosting immunity, and overall digestive health. Garlic, onions, and savory spices like turmeric go great in dressings, or simply as seasonings for your lean proteins Add fresh ginger in your smoothies, tea, or in stirfry. In the G-Fit lifestyle, we are known to use these simple spices and seasonings to add flavor however, just like the veggies, variety is the spice of the season. Branch out of your go to’s (hello garlic) and experiment with different spices. Time to explore out and add Fennel or Anise to your salad.
7. FERMENTED FOODS.
The gut plays an essential role in our immunity and acts as a barrier against many types of pathogens. I am BIG on sauerkraut and kimchi, always but now more than ever! A tablespoon a day added to your lean or omelet’s is perfect! Be mindful of the added sugars and these are FREE foods on any of my plans so it’s a win-win.
Unsweetened Greek yogurt is also a great way to support your gut and provide all those great probiotics. You can make the swap of non-fat Greek yogurt for your protein source, here and there on any PLAN. Feed your GUT to keep your microbiome healthy.
(check out the new kimchi recipe posted in the G-Fit App)
A gallon a day is the G-Fit way. How is your water consumption? It is important to be extra mindful right now to get adequate fluids to support your body’s normal functions- including the immune system. Aside from my daily gallon, I have been drinking bone broth and adding apple cider vinegar to my lemon teas (with ginger). Make it a game to get in a gallon a day!
You may be experiencing restless nights. SLEEP has never been more important. When we are run down and sleep-deprived, we aren’t able to fight off infection. I have been mindful to UNPLUG earlier and get to sleep. If you need to use a natural sleep aid like a night time tea, Magnesium supplement or CBD, all of which can help promote more restful sleep. I have been using the CBD tincture from ALSO before bed and am noticing huge improvements to my sleep! They are so kind to offer 15% off to G-Fit followers by using code GFIT. 🙂 I have been using their products now for a few months and am loving them! Try ALSO products and let me know if it contributes to a better night’s sleep! Aim for at least 7 hours each night, if at all possible!
This is another G-Fit non-negotiable you all are very familiar with. Now, more than ever, exercise needs to be high on your list. Not just regular exercise but practicing the G-Fit ways of Less is More! Consistent exercise helps support your immune system and mental health. The best way to deal with stress is to flood your body with those natural feel-good endorphins.
Keep in mind, while exercise is a MUST, it is really important to avoid over-exercising as a way to combat stress. Over-exercising will tax the immune system and can lower your immune defense. MORE reason to adopt the G-Fit Less is More mindset! The G-Fit App makes it easy for you to get in your daily exercise in the comfort of your home. Adopt the less is more mindset and your body and immunity will thank you for it!
11. MEDITATION & YOGA.
Meditation is a MUST! Whether that be still or moving, it will aid in keeping stress levels down and helping keep immunity UP! Incorporating various relaxation and breathing techniques found in meditation and yoga will help keep stress at bay and your immune system STRONG! Another benefit of the G-Fit lifestyle is our non-negotiable weekly flows found in the G-Fit App. Browse the Yoga/Stretching section when you need that guidance to slow down and flow. Your body and mind need rest & relaxation so make it a priority, NOW more than ever!
I’m really passionate about my meditation practice, but lately even more so. I find taking a few more breaks throughout the day and focusing on my breath and stillness has been incredibly useful in helping manage stress during this season we are living.
12. SUPPLEMENTING PROPERLY.
Many people want to know what kinds of supplements they could take right now to optimize immune health. While I am not a huge fan of supplements, there are some that do serve a purpose, I do believe in your essential supplements to make up for the gaps in your diet. Our foods simply isn’t as nutrient-dense as it once was so supplementing with essential supplements is extremely IMPORTANT.
My suggested essentials are:
Vitamin D3: Adequate vitamin D status is critical for optimal immune function, Load up on vitamin D. 2,000 iu’s daily! (5,000 during the winter months).
Vitamin C: The role of vitamin C in supporting the immune system has long been known. Take 500 to 1,000 mg throughout the day with meals and snacks. I like to use a powder that I can mix in water, shakes, and smoothies.
Zinc: You can take an additional supplement or consume more foods high in this powerful immune-supporting nutrient. Seafood, red meat, and pumpkin seeds are the best food sources of zinc. Take 30 mg per day.
Probiotics: A healthy gut flora supports a healthy gut, a major barrier against pathogens, keeping your immune system strong. Look for brands that offer several species of good bacteria and contain at least 5 to 10 billion organisms per capsule. I love Garden of Life. Keep in mind foods high in gut protecting foods like kimchi are a natural way to get those gut-healthy bugs that help fight disease and infections.
Fish Oil: In addition to the good fats, fish oils are excellent to boost immunity and combat inflammation. Eat up those natural sources such as sardines and salmon and get a good high-quality fish oil.
Multivitamin/Mineral: This is the foundation for any health support regimen. It’s a good way to cover the basic vitamins and minerals your body needs for day-to-day functions. Look for a high-quality, broad-spectrum multivitamin and mineral. A woman’s one a day works great! I love THIS one from Mega Food.
To view all my recommended supplements visit my Amazon store HERE.
If you are familiar with the G-Fit lifestyle you are familiar with our non-negotiable Sunday Unplug. NOW, more than ever, it is important to have days to rest and recover. Mentally unplug from social media and take that extra self-care time to focus on YOU. Days to do less, catch up on life, sleep in, read a book, take a nap, are essential to keep you from burnout and overloading your schedule with too many to do’s. At least one solid day to unplug is important to keep that immune system STRONG!
Please, take care of your health, and encourage others around you to do the same. With these trusted tips, we can ensure our immune systems are ready, willing, and able to take on whatever comes our way.
I know there’s a lot to take in right now, but it’s important that we focus on what we can control. While we cannot control if we catch a virus, what we can control is preparing our minds and bodies to be able to take it on and fight it off fast!
Stay healthy and well my beautiful friends!