Top Weight Training Tips
You are not alone, weight training can get boring and repetitive!! When you find yourself bored with your weight training routine, it is very easy to find excuses to avoid the gym. Suddenly, there isn’t enough time in the day, you don’t feel great, the kids need you, etc. There is always something that comes up and keeps you away from the weight room. If you find ways to stay motivated, you will be that much more successful in your fitness journey. Don’t give up!! Just try these top weight training tips to keep you on track with your goals.
1. Get yourself NEW Workout Gear. New Workout wear always motivates me to get myself to the gym. Throw away the old baggy shirt and get yourself some cute new G-Fit!!
2. Pencil it in. Making a to do list can help organize your day so you know when you are going to do what. Just like you write down when you are going to pick up the kids or go to the grocery store, pencil in the specific time you are going to go to the gym.
3. Do Something! No matter how little time you have, just do something. Once you get yourself to the gym, I guarantee you will be there longer than you imagined but just commit to getting there. Tell yourself that you are going to go for only 20 minutes. Anything above and beyond 20 minutes is bonus. Less is often more so commit yourself!
4. Find a Workout Partner. Working out is so much more fun and motivating when you have a buddy. Find someone to workout with so you can help keep each other motivated.
5. Workout with the family. Working out doesn’t have to take place in the gym. Get the whole family involved and workout together. Do a fun family circuit, take a trip to the track, take a hike, sign up for a family 5K. Why not be active while spending quality time with the family!!
6. Put aside the theory, “no pain, no gain”. You don’t have to kill yourself to see results so don’t feel that you have to be uncomfortably sore after each workout. The thought of sore muscles may detour you from working out so understand that you do not need to stumble around after each workout! That theory is overrated and not true. Gains come from consistency, not pain!
7. Start Slow. Don’t feel like you have to jump into a plan full force, just start somewhere. Commit yourself to some form of activity daily and little by little increase your time and intensity.
8. Set a goal. Maybe a family vacation, photo shoot, race, some sort of competition, etc. It may be easier to stay focused if you have a date you are striving for. Set a goal so each workout you are envisioning that goal and each workout has purpose!
9. Keep it fresh. Don’t do the same thing daily! Change up your workouts so they never get old. Walk in the gym and go with how you feel. If a structured plan is not for you, just show up and allow yourself to walk to what resonates with you!
10. Eb and Flow. There are going to be days where you have tons of energy and days you are literally just going through the motions, this is normal, just go with the flow. No matter what your Eb is that day, just go with it and get it done!