Diastasis Recti & Abdominal Training
ALL ABOUT DIASTASIS RECTI AND ABDOMINAL TRAINING
Diastasis recti is a fairly common outcome from pregnancy where the right and left abdominal muscles, rectus abdominis (the midline of your abdominals), separates. Basically your “6 pack” becomes two 3 packs. This is caused by pressure from your uterus pushing against your abdominal wall and the pregnancy hormones that soften of your tissues.
Diastasis Recti can occur anytime in your pregnancy, especially in the last half, although is most common post-pregnancy when your abdominal wall is weak and there is no baby to offer you any support. It can be caused by poor form during exercises, excessive weight gain, multiple pregnancies, poor posture and, of course, genetics can play a huge role.
Not everyone gets Diastasis Recti but for those who do, don’t worry, you have not caused permanent damage and will not have a “mommy belly” forever! Typically post-pregnancy, you will notice a “squishy belly” and relaxed midline, this is normal. It will take time for your belly to regain its former density and elasticity. The “hole” you may be feeling when you slightly press on your tummy is normal and will become shallower and shallower over time, as long as you take proper care of yourself and don’t overdo things!
5 steps to check for diastasis:
3. Relax your abdominal muscles and lift your head, while gently pushing into just above the belly button with your three middle fingers, toward your face, running vertically along the center belly line.
4. Lift your upper body off the floor into a “crunch.”
5. Gently move your fingers around your midline, feeling for this separation in your muscles, which typically feels like a shallow hole, fitting 2-2.5 fingers when your abdominals are fully contracted.
If you find that you do indeed have diastasis, the best thing you can do is be patient and spend the time to fully and properly strengthen your core with these few G-tips below.
GINA’S TIPS FOR DIASTASIS RECOVERY AND CORE STRENGTHENING
1. Headlifts. This is not a crunch. When you do a headlift, you are literally just lifting your head and not letting your shoulders lift off the floor. This is meant to engage your transverse muscles and not add too much pressure to your rectus abdominis. It is a very tiny movement.
2. Belly Band. Wearing a belly band as much as possible will help keep your core engaged and also serves as a great reminder to focus on your posture. Belly Band as much as possible.
3. Posture. Proper posture will help you engage your core. Focus on using your deep transverse muscles with everything you do. Your mind should always be on your core engagement. Use the little mantra “core engaged” throughout the day to remind yourself to keep it tight!
4. Get up and down correctly! When getting up and down from a back lying position, you want to be sure to take your time and keep your core engaged throughout the entire process. You don’t want to jump up as fast as you can, rather rolling to one side first then pushing yourself up to a seated position or start in a seated position, the to one side before fully lying down.
5. Avoid the same exercises and movements that can cause diastasis while you are recovering. No crunches, sit-ups, planks, front loaded exercises, etc.
6. Everything you do needs to be core focused, deep within your transverse abdominal muscles! As you start to exercise again, every movement needs to come from the core as your source of stability!
It will take time to close the gap and strengthen your core but if you focus on the steps above and being extremely mindful of your engagement at all times, you will get back to where you were, if not stronger!
Fun Fact: I am a huge stickler on form. Keeping impeccable form throughout my workouts and everyday activities has always been a big focus of mine! This has not only helped me throughout my workouts, avoiding injuries but helped me recover from diastasis fast! Pregnancy, post-pregnancy and in everyday life, posture is key!
Postpartum and not sure where to start to get your pre baby body back?? Check out my UAP, Perfect for moms! Includes NO GYM necessary Workouts and diets to get your pre pregnancy body back FAST! Click HERE
BECOME A VIP MEMBER FOR 5 MINUTE DAILY WORKOUTS + RECIPES + MOTIVATION + SUPPORT AND SO MUCH MORE to keep you on track. PERFECT FOR MOMMY’S WHO DON’T HAVE A TON OF TIME! JOIN HERE.